Classic Chair by Ray & Charles Eames
The Eames Plastic Side Chair, which was designed by Charles and Ray Eames in 1950, is a contemporary version of the legendary Fibreglass Chair. It was originally made by Zenith Plastics for the Museum of Modern Art's "Low Cost Furniture Design" competition and was the first mass-produced chair out of plastic.
The DSW (Dining Side-chair Wood) is a version of the Eames Plastic Side Chair with a wooden base, which was first used by Charles and Ray Eames in 1951 for the Wire Chair. The restrained and yet expressive form with its tapered maple feet and diagonal round steel bars gives this chair an all-rounder character which fits in well in most environments.
The base is now also available with a height of 43 cm. Vitra has created the new taller version in response to the increase in the average height of the population since the chair was first produced in 1950.
Please note: The Eames Plastic Side Chair DSW is delivered with white or black felt pads depending on the ordered base. Plastic pads are also available. If you would like a different seat, base or pad colour, please contact our customer service.