The Story Behind the Pine and Rosewood Design from Magno
It takes time to create something unique. Every wooden radio by Magno is made by hand in 16 working hours. From the first cut until the finished radio is carefully wrapped in tissue paper, there are over 20 working stages to create this unique, handmade radio.
Singgih Susilo Kartono is the designer and manufacturer of the wooden radio. While studying product design in Bandung, Indonesia, he developed artistic guidelines and began to make his ideas reality with new working methods and modes of production.
Today, he works with 30 young wood-craftsmen in his home town of Temanggung in Central Java, Indonesia. His business assures the incomes of many families and gives young workers prospects for the future with fair working conditions.
Besides this, a tree nursery has been built on the grounds next to the workshop, providing the whole village with seedlings. Raising the ecological awareness of the local population is a long-term aim particularly close to Singgih Kartono's heart. Plantain wood is used exclusively in the production of the radios, leading media sources across the world to use the product as an example of "Eco-Design".
Only a small number of wooden radios are produced every month. They are requested by fans of modern design combined with high quality handiwork from the USA, Japan and Europe.
- Each radio is crafted by hand in 16 hours.
- Every radio is a one-of-a-kind piece with a serial number.
- 2 band reception (FM/AM), 3.5 mm mini-jack socket.
- Measures: 19.1 x 11.7 x 13.5 cm (Material and production process cause natural deviations).
- Power: 4 x AA batteries, mains adapter (not included).
- Material: East Indian rosewood (dark) and pine (light).
- The wooden radio is manufactured under fair social conditions. Only plantation wood is used.