The desired British Award „Gift of the Year“ is given to those products that are the most original and innovative gifts, and also commercially realizable.
The jury initially selects 10 companies and their products out of the following 17 categories for a more close selection in the finals.
• Celebrating Britain!
• Occasions. Product related to any special occasions (e.g.: birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, christenings, confirmations and other religious / cultural ceremonies / festivals, Valentine's day, Mother's day, Father's day, Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Guy Fawkes, passing exams / driving test etc.).
• Collect It. Product that as a unique piece or part of a range / collection would be considered a collectable.
• Home Accessories. Any accessories for the home interior.
• Card and Wrap. Cards and wrap for any occasion aimed at independent gift and greetings card shops - often handmade / one off design.
• Body, Mind and Soul. Product to complement and enhance personal health and welfare, frame of mind.
• Fashion, Jewellery and Accessories. Gift jewellery, scarves, bags, belts etc for men, women, children, pets, cars!
• Kitchen and Dining. Everyday products or those designed for social and special occasions, including tableware, glassware, cutlery, table decoration, utensils and cooking / preparing products / materials.
• Under £10. Suitable as a gift that retails for under £10 stocking fillers, Secret Santas etc.
• Kids. Gifts for a baby, child or teenager.
• Branded / Character. Any licensed product gifts for kids, adults and the home.
• Made in UK. Any product made in Great Britain or Northern Ireland.
• Hot Novelty. The latest must have silly gift.
• Eco Friendly. Environmentally friendly green gift for responsible consumers.
• Outdoor Living. Any accessories for alfresco living.
• Premium / Luxury. Luxury brands, more expensive gifts for those for whom money is no object!
• Stationery. Diaries, calendars, note books, scrap books, photo albums, notelets, pens, etc.
Accordingly, the jury selects the winners of each category, and two more products that are very suggested.
The products are selected according to the following criteria:
• Design innovation and originality
• Quality of manufacture
• Sales potential and commercial viability
• Presentation and packaging
• Customer appeal and value
• Retail profit potential
• Marketing and merchandising support to the trade and the consumer
• X / WOW factor
All ten products out of the categories (including the chosen first-placed ones and the two suggested ones) are exposed on the annual Spring Fair. All the products, that aren’t selected, will be donated to charity.