The Housewares Design Awards is an annual American product competition which is concentrated on the household industry. This competition has been made for the first time by the Home World Business – a leading housewares magazine – in the year 2003, with the aim of presenting design innovation to the wide mass, as one of the main factors for the growth of housewares industry.
The Housewares Design Award attires hundreds of product presentations every year, concentrating on industrial household devices production. The jury, consisting of renowned designers and individual retailers, examine the presentations and analyze them finally. The best product out of every category is honored with the “Best in Category” prize and three more – the best of the best ones – with the title “Best of the Best” in bronze, silver and gold. The most environment friendly housewares design is additionally honored with the Green House Award.
The selection criteria:
• Unique appearance and/or function
• Recognized or unrecognized consumer needs addressed by product
• Appropriate aesthetics
• Innovative materials or technology
• Human factors and safety issues
• Market positioning and competitive performance
• Social impact
• Emotional Appeal
• Environmental benefits (materials, processes, etc.)
• Cookware & Bakeware
• Countertop Cooking & Beverage Appliances
• Countertop Food Prep Appliances
• Countertop Kitchenware
• Floor Care & Cleaning Appliances
• Gadgets & Kitchen Tools
• Home Environment Appliances
• Home Organization, Laundry Care & Non-Electric Cleaning
• Home & Outdoor Decor
• Personal, Health & Garment Care
• Tableware, Serveware & Beverageware
A selection of impartial experts out of marketing and design evaluate the presented works and decides which products enter the finalists categories „Best in Category", "Best of the Best" and "Green House“.
The winners of single categories, the best ones of the best ones and the most environmental friendly product – which is selected out of five finalists – are presented during the Housewares Design Awards ceremony.