Christian Dell


Christian Dell

Christian Dell was born in Offenbach a. M. on the 24th February 1893. He was silversmith, designer and teacher.

From 1907 to 1911 Dell completed his silversmith apprenticeship in Hanau and visited the drawing academy there.

1912/12 he studied at the Saxony School of Applied Arts in Weimar with Henry van de Velde as his teacher.
1922 to 1925 he worked as foreman in the Bauhaus metal workshop in Weimar.
1926 Dell adopted the lead of the metal workshop of the Frankfurt Art School.
In the year 1933 was the ousting of the national socialists. Dell went to the interior exile and stayed in Germany. Afterwards he returned to his roots, he produced silverware and founded a jewelry shop in the year 1948 in Wiesbaden that he lead until 1955. After this period he wholly stayed in his private life until he died the 10th July 1974.

Since 1926 Dell designed lightning elements, since 1933/34 multiple for the lamp industry Gebr. Kaiser & Co. in Neheim-Hüsten, his lamp series named “KAISER idell”, specially the lamp 6631 luxury, also called “commissioner lamp” became a Bauhaus Design classic.