The Bouroullec brothers re-interpreted the armchair with their Slow Chair: a familiar, bulky form is combined with weightless, transparent materials when it comes to produce the Vitra armchair. This is how an exciting contrast emerges between form and material, searching for equals regarding comfort and style.
Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec created this expansive armchair by using an extremely strong, precisely shaped knit which is stretched over the metal frame like a fitted stocking. This tensioning of the material offers a pleasantly soft and ergonomic comfort to the Slow Chair, which is even increased by thin seat and back cushions.
The slightly transparent fabric thereby substitutes the thick cushions of traditional armchairs and brings weightlessness to the otherwise bulky Slow Chair. Slow Chair therewith acts really withdrawing in the living room or the winter garden, without renouncing any comfort: an ergonomic sitting comfort that adapts to the user’s body is offered by the strong tension at different points of the chair.
Vitra manufactures the Slow Chair & Ottoman out of a steel-tube-frame with aluminium feet. Three cushions in adapted colours are included in the delivery package.
- Design: Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec, 2007
- Material: Metal frame, polished or powder-coated aluminium legs, cover: knitted fabric, seat and backrest cushion: polyurethane foam and polyester wool.
- Measurements: 890 x 950 x 928 mm
- Availability (tricot): brown/crème, red/crème, brown, black
- Availability (legs): aubergine
- Availability(glider): glider, felt glider
The Ottoman, and also the long and short back cushions are available.