High-Quality Crystal Glass from Spiegelau in the Bavarian Forest
The Spiegelau GmbH, based in the Bavarian Forest produces drinking glasses, decanting carafes and other crystal glass accessories since the 16th century. The glassworks was first mentioned in the testament of Erasmus Mospurger in 1521. The glass manufacturer is especially known for its crystal mirrors and from the 19th century for the ,back then popular snuff bottles. In the 20th century a frequent change of ownership took place.
Two world wars brought the glass factory again and again in financial troubles and forced the different owners to sell the factory, or to shut it. From the mid 70s the production in the glass works as part of the Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik continued with over 500 employees until they were bought by the Nachtmann Bleikristallwerke in 1990. Since 2004, the Spiegelau glass works belongs to the Austrian company Riedel Glas. The production in the town of Spiegelau was stopped in 2008. Nevertheless, each year over 20 million glasses under the name Spiegelau Glas are produced at various locations of the Riedel Glas company in Germany.
The glasses of the Spiegelau Glas production is characterized by clear crystal and a high brilliance. The glasses are manufactured in elaborate craftsmanship and with advanced technology and techniques in Germany. This way, Spiegelau is able to offer glasses of high quality at moderate prices.
Website of Spiegelau